Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-libc-1_2-branch from cvs

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-libc-1_2-branch from cvs
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:04:24 +0100 (MET)

John Altstadt <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Yep, these auto tools are not very consistent.  [...]

> I do have to say that in >20 years of designing large and small
> embedded systems, I have never once felt the urge to use any
> autotools. :-)

Sure, for just your own tool, you don't need that.  But if you want
something that can be compiled on different OSes, where you can check
for the prerequisite software, and want to offer the users some
choices including that of the final installation location (configure
--prefix), *something* like these tools is really handy.

> On Gentoo, /usr/bin/autoconf is a soft link to a bash script which
> tries to figure out which version of autoconf to actually execute.

Well, I see the point in that idea, but guess it's hard to impossible
to really do that.