Re: [avr-gcc-list] News on debugging Mega128?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] News on debugging Mega128?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:01:00 +0100 (MET)

"Wolfgang Wegner" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Or is the restriction in AVRStudio, should I try to debug avarice to
> use gdb? (It has some problems with my JTAG-Ice mk2)

The bug is in GCC, but only affects DWARF-2 and thus in particular
users of AVR Studio.  (Well, for AVR Studio, you could still resort to
AVR-COFF, but that has other limitations in the debugging information
itself, as well as rather serious bugs in the COFF converter.  But it
doesn't suffer from the 64 KB limitation.)

The good old stabs debug information (-gstabs) doesn't suffer from
that problem, so if avarice + GDB (+ any GDB frontend if you prefer)
is an option for you, that might indeed help you.

As for avarice with the JTAG ICE mkII, you need a version from CVS
(IIRC, there are snapshots available).  As David Gay fixed the last
annoying bug in the mkII support just a few days ago (a breakpoint
reached wasn't always announced to GDB, so you need to hit ^C in GDB
even though the program already stopped correctly), I think it's now
also time to release the current code as avarice 2.4.  I've got this
on my schedule (now that avr-libc 1.4.0 is finally out).