[avr-gcc-list] What is the recommended route to build avr-gcc with suppo

From: Nigel Winterbottom
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] What is the recommended route to build avr-gcc with support for newer processors?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:27:11 -0000

Hello All,

I am using ATmega329 but WinAVR-20050214 doesn't suppport it.

My requirements are very modest, I've rewritten my code so that I only need
support for the ATmega329 memory map:

FLASH  0x0000 - 0x3FFF
SRAM   0x0100 - 0x08FF
EEPROM 0x0000 - 0x03FF (This is now unimportant)

I set -mmcu=atmega32 and substituted iom329.h instead of iom32.h but the
SRAM began at 0x0060 instead of 0x0100, so it was no good. Niether
was -mmcu=atmega323. In fact no supported micro matched the SRAM
requirements.

I am therefore resigned to performing a build of avr-gcc and have at least 3

1.  I have a Slackware 10.1 linux box available and can use instructions &
patches at http://www.kieltech.de/uweswiki/

2.  I have downloaded FreeBSD 6 and can use Joerg Wunsch's work at:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/avr-gcc/files/
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/avr-binutils/files/

3.  I can be really masochistic and try a windows build using instructions
at:
http://kk.elektronik-4u.de/index.php?Sid=12

I cannot find any Windows build instructions on the WinAVR home page or
WinAVR project page so must assume Eric Weddington wants to keep this a
secret. Perhaps a Windows build is such a pig, that this is a deliberate
ploy so that he isn't besieged with questions day-&-night :)

Which option do people recommend ?

Nigel Winterbottom