RE: [avr-gcc-list] What is the recommended route to build avr-gcc withsu

From: Nigel Winterbottom
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] What is the recommended route to build avr-gcc withsupport for newer processors?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:30:18 -0000

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for the personal reply, the list is partially broken at the moment so
I'm CCing all responders to my thread

> Maybe you try the atmega169? Anyway, ld does do no checking
> at all for the size of the excecutable so you will not get
> any error message if you exceed the 16k boundary, IIRC. Also
> I think that the header files should be the same for 169 and
> 329 (did not check that so far, however).

I've outgrown atmega169 so have upgraded to atmega329. I'll try
using -mmcu=atmega169 and adding back the mode modules I've stripped out,
this will exceed 16K bytes o will test your theory.

Exceeding SRAM of course, is not allowed because I would then mangle the
stack.

The header file is, in essence, very similar with only the PCIE/PCIF bits in
EIMSK/EIFR different. I did a diff but the files have a totally different
layout so almost all lines have changes.

Nigel Winterbottom