[avr-gcc-list] Intermittent connections with clone JTAG ICE

From: Mike Young
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Intermittent connections with clone JTAG ICE
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 05:21:26 -0600

I bought a clone JTAG ICE from Microcontroller Pros (http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1106&osCsid=b6732e459ab35fe55dc115a10aec8f52) thinking to play around with the Butterfly. AVR Studio 4.12 has trouble connecting to it, and once connected, often drops the connection. Avarice doesn't see the device at all. Sometimes, forcing a reset on the Butterfly allows AVR Studio to connect briefly. "Briefly" means a few minutes of debugging, uploading a new image to flash, or reading or setting fuse bits. Sometimes, it resets the device and allows connections by unplugging and replugging the JTAG cable from the Butterfly. Most often, I remove the battery from the Butterfly to force a reset; this helps the connection most of the time.

Being new to AVR and their tools, I'm not sure what my expectations should be. Is this a properly functioning device? Can the software be doing something to make it unstable? (The problems seem identical with the base Butterfly code, the ported GCC Butterfly code, and my own simple hello-world.) Are there fuse-bits that can help/destabilize connection?

Thanks.
Mike.