Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to rebuild AVR-GCC for Windows?

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to rebuild AVR-GCC for Windows?
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:13:48 -0700

Bob Paddock wrote:

I want to build GCC 3.4.4/Binutils 2.16.1/AVR-LIBC 1.4
as I need to use the Tiny2313, Mega164, and Mega325.
Building all of these would be no problem for me on
my Linux box at home.  Alas the power's-that-be here
at work won't let me use Linux; "We are a windows
shop here" I was told. :-(

Well, that's ridiculous. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Why did they say that? Is there more than one developer working with the toolset?

At any rate I was trying to find some instructions
on how to build a Windows version of AVR-GCC using
Cygwin and/or MingW but I have not found such a document
can some one point me to one please?

I think I have everything in hand the GCC-3.4.4 source,
Binutils 2.16.1, AVR-LIBC 1.4, and Joerg Wunsch's latests
FreeBSD patch file for the newer devices, cygwin and mingw,
anything else needed?

When I was downloading GCC 3.4.4 sources I saw there was
a 3.4.5, any reason to use that?

Generally, anything later would be good as it fixed more bugs.

I want to avoid 4.x.x
for the moment.

Hmm. Too bad, I'm putting together WinAVR but I'm using 4.0.1. Any particular reason to avoid 4.x.x?

--
Eric Weddington