Re: [avr-gcc-list] Home of avr-mem.sh?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Home of avr-mem.sh?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:50:21 +0100 (MET)

Eric Weddington <address@hidden> wrote:

> Attached is a draft patch to binutils 2.16.1 to implement part of
> it.  This patch will allow avr-size to report the memory sizes in
> the same kind of format as the avr-mem.sh script. ...

> -int berkeley_format = BSD_DEFAULT;   /* 0 means use AT&T-style output.  */
> +/* Set default format. */
> +format_type_t format = format_avr;

Hmm, while you could maintain that as a private hack, I somewhat doubt
a hack for a single, really unimportant (from binutil's point of view)
target would get acceptance for that kind of code change.

If at all, then you'd probably need to hack that up so *any* supported
controller-like CPU could use it, and then just handle the AVR as a
single instance of such a controller.

Even for the AVR, I think you should not change default formats.
Other people's scripts could easily stumble across it, as they might
assume the 20+ years historical BSD output format to be the default.