[avr-gcc-list] Re: Newbie: Help walking through the demos - avrdude

From: Mark J Elkins
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Newbie: Help walking through the demos - avrdude
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:35:21 +0200

I posted to the avr-lib list.....

>> I'm also looking for someone to handhold me through uploading the
>> Hex code to the STK500 (using avrdude??)... ie what Jumpers and
>> Cables (ISP6PIN to SPROG3?, and Serial into RS232Ctrl?) I should be
>> using on the board - and what parameters should be used with avrdude
>> - if used.

>Sorry to refuse, but this list is the list for avr-libc developers.
>For very basic questions, please use address@hidden, which is
>a list of AVR users.  There will be many more people than just the
>library developers who could help you out on this.

I think this is the correct list for this question... (actually - I
believe that most people hand out on all the lists! :-)

I want to download my HEX image using avrdude onto my (new) STK500
starter kit.

Serial plugs into the RS232 Ctrl plug, 6-way connector links SPROG2 and
ISP6Pin... other jumpers are what seem to be OK - looking at pictures...

Firstly - do I have a  Version 1 or Version 2 firmware on this board.
I'd guess 2 - as the board was purchased only a week or so ago.. (but
how do I tell?).

I have a ATMEG16 on the STK500, - I'd assume that the command to do a
download is something like....

avrdude -p m16 -P /dev/ttyS0 -c stk500v2 -v -U flash:w:demo.hex

Anything else I need to know? - Its a Serial Device - but no need for a
Baud rate anywhere?

What of the above can be saved in ${HOME}/.avrduderc - some things will
(for now) always be the same - ie - the programmer, the serial port and
probably even the device...

Once I've got something working - I'll document my bits - and take a
picture or two... (then bug J"org with it :)
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa.  e.164 VOIP ready
 /| /|       / /__       address@hidden  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE