Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr libc configure error

From: Kevin Cozens
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr libc configure error
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:54:13 -0500

Dave wrote:
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this
question, but I am having trouble with configuring avr
libc. I would like to use avr-gcc, and avr libc is the
only source file I could find. My system is Mac OS X
10.3.9, and gcc 3.3. I get the following output:
[snip]
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none
needed
checking for avr-as... no
checking for as... as
checking for avr-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for avr-ar... no
checking for ar... ar
configure: error: Wrong C compiler found; check the
PATH!

I'm in a similar situation except in my case I'm trying to set up a tool chain for Linux. From what I know, you need to build and install binutils for AVR first and then the compiler. Once those are in place you can build avr-libc.

The output from ./configure which you included in your message indicates you don't have the binutils package installed. Your comments indicate you are also missing the compiler which you indicate when you stated you couldn't find a source file for avr-gcc.

From what I have learned, AVR support is available in the official sources of binutils and gcc. Grab the official sources and specify --target=avr when you run the configure stage for these two packages. At least, that is what I have done so far.

After you have binutils and gcc packages for avr installed you may or may not have the same problem I ran in to where avr-libc fails during the configure step. In my case it seems to run some a test involving compilation which fails due to its claim about missing support for the avr2 architecture.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: