Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++ and aggregates in flash memory

From: Ned Konz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++ and aggregates in flash memory
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 22:44:06 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Ned Konz <address@hidden> wrote:

const AllDeviceSettings PROGMEM spiDeviceSettings =
{
/* .display */
{
     /* .csPortAddress */ &atmega128::PORTC,

Btw., no need to write the field names as comments.

I know; this started out as C99 code that actually used the field initializer syntax, and it was easy to keep the field names by using an editor macro.

I suppose that the definition of this structure could, in fact, go back into a C file (I wonder if that would cure the problem for now).

Is there some easy way around this problem?

Are you incidentally volunteering as C++ maintainer for AVR-GCC and
avr-libc? >:-)

I was trying not to. I am working on a C++ library for the AVRs, though.

I'd say file a bug report for GCC, though I'm afraid there won't be
anyone to work on this.

I don't really have time to get familiar with GCC; I suspect that I'll end up having to do something like editing the resultant assembly output, object files or linker scripts somehow for the time being.

I was just hoping that someone had an idea about why the global constructor mechanism was being used for something that didn't need it, but I realize that GCC doesn't know about different kinds of memory spaces.

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
address@hidden