[avr-gcc-list] Re: AVR-GCC-list Digest, Vol 16, Issue 17

From: Björn Haase
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: AVR-GCC-list Digest, Vol 16, Issue 17
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:29:45 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Could somebody please point me to a site that explains how one makes (or
> applies) a patch to the avr-gcc toochain?
The first step will be that you first will have to learn how to build avr-gcc,
the binutils and avr-libc from the sources. Note that these are three
independent projects. So you will have three independent directories with the
source code.

Once you succeeded in building the original source code of the three projects,
you could proceed to add the changes to the original sources by using the
"patch" program.
Usually this means that you are using a command line window. You will use the
cd command to change to the directories where the original code resides. You
will find out which directory needs to be the current directory by reading
the first lines of the patch file. Then most of the time you will simply
excecute

patch -p0 <filename_of_the_patch

If errors show up for some file, the patch command will print out where
difficulties show up.

> Hello,
>
> This may be a very silly question but here goes anyway. If my code image is
> less than 128KBytes, then can I run a build for the ATmega1281 on the
> ATmega2561 ?
No. Problems will show up when passing parameters on the stack.

Bjoern.