Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR toolchain for ATmega2561 failing

From: Al
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR toolchain for ATmega2561 failing
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 11:52:19 +0200

Il giorno Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:00:40 -0700 (PDT)
Khusro <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> I compiled for the ATmega128 successfully and the code appears to
> function normally.
> However, compiling for the ATmega2561 has not worked. I have only
> starting debugging to see where the system is failing.
>
> In the meantime, is there anybody out there that is currently testing
> the tool chain on ATmega2561s ?

We are testing the gcc for ATmega2561 with Bjoern' patches too.

The toolchain was build starting from:

- latest binutils + patches
- gcc rev 113395 + patches
- latest avr-libc + patches

We have some issues with bootloader, interrupts and 32bit arithmetics.

The bootloader support of avr-libc seems broken for ATmega256x. We are
working on a solution for a issue that Fabrizio Tironi discussed with
Bjoern last week.

The USART rx irq seems not triggering. The SIG_USART0_RECV is defined
as _VECTOR(25) that seems correct with Atmel's datasheet. We will try
a simple application to try to understand the problem.

Moreover there is a poor 32bit performance in a delay loop like:

uint32_t i = 300000;

while (i--) { asm volatile ("nop" ::) }

In a bootloader application we use on a ATmega128 this delay is used
to blink a display; the same code on ATmega2561 makes the display blink
at half speed. Maybe a gcc-4.2 issue?

Luca Amigoni