Re: [avr-gcc-list] End of program symbol

From: Pink Boy
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] End of program symbol
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:25:54 -0700 (PDT)

Adam sez,

> How about using a ROM/PROGMEM array in which dynamic code is loaded
> instead of putting it after _etext? This is what we are doing in
> the Contiki OS. One nice thing with this is that you can decide
> beforehand how much space you'd like to reserve for the dynamic
> code (and you'll be notified by the linker if there isn't enough
> space in ROM).

How do you align the array with the 64/128 byte flash sector
boundries?

I'm doing the same thing as the original poster.  I tried intially
to create a memory section in flash and use the linker to place it
in memory.  I abandoned doing that because I couldn't debug my code
easily because AVR Studio doesn't handle extra memory sections
properly.  (As of build 472, supposedly fixed next release?)

Currently I use defines to set the start and end of the file system
and I manually check to make sure the code hasn't 'gone over'.

Mr Foo