[avr-gcc-list] Fixed Registers -ffixed

From: Ram Kumar Rengaswamy
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Fixed Registers -ffixed
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:49:41 -0700

Hi,
I need to prevent the C code from using a pair of registers that I wish to use in an assembly routine.

When I try to compile my application with the option -ffixed-r2 and - ffixed-r3, I get the following error:

error: can't find a register in class `BASE_POINTER_REGS' while reloading `asm'

Is there a work around to this problem or is it a limitation of the compiler ? Is there any particular set of registers that are better suited to be fixed than others ?

Thanks,
-Ram