Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Removal of unused functions

From: Anatoly Sokolov
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Removal of unused functions
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:46:27 +0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Björn Haase" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:31 PM
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Removal of unused functions

>> Hello people,
>>
>> I've read quite a bit about the removal of unused functions when using
>> avr-gcc. In particular I've read Jörg's remarks about the automatic
>> removal feature being useless and I think this might very well be
>> correct.
>Joerg's statement used to be correct but no longer is. In fact there was a
>problem for older versions of binutils. The problem that you have encountered
>is fixed in the most recent cvs version of the binutils. If you don't know
>how to use cvs, you might use some recent snapshot.

The new version of binutils 2.17 realised, and it includes all opportunities
described by Björn. Unfortunately the binutils 2.17 is not completely
compatible to AVRStudio.  The AVRStudio 4.12 does not load 'elf' files in which
there is no '.data' section. I have transferred the information on a problem to
Torleif Sandnes, and I hope it will be corrected in the future versions of
AVRStudio.

Joerg, I suggest to add a question "Removal of unused functions" and the
description of '-ffunction-sections' and '--gc-sections' options, in FAQ
section of avr-libc user mamual.

Anatoly.