[avr-gcc-list] How do I generate an absolutely located hex file in assem

From: jan
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] How do I generate an absolutely located hex file in assembler using avr-gcc?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:33:00 +0200

Hi!
I need to generate a hex file from assembler with code and data located at
specific locations and no startup code added by the compiler.

It's a bootloader and has been built using AVR-studio and has been used for
some time. The problem is that my boss insist I port it to avr-gcc since all
other work is done using avr-gcc.

I have managed to clone the old hex file by subtracting 0x68 (size of startup)
from my .orgs except I get a fill value of 0x00 instead of the 0xff i need.
The hex file is also 1014 lines compared to 65 lines for the old one.

There must be another better (proper) way to do this!

Is there a simple way to just invoke the assembler and linker without using
the gcc front end?

/Janne