Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-chat] AVR-G++ (Was: more of the same ;))

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-chat] AVR-G++ (Was: more of the same ;))
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:27:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Eric Weddington <address@hidden> wrote:

> Note that we have been actively seeking a C++ maintainer for the
> toolchain:

> https://savannah.nongnu.org/people/?group=avr-libc

And Rolf even lives in my timezone. ;-)

I know him from the mikrocontroller.net forums already...

Yes, Rolf, you've got many good ideas.  I hope it would at least be
possible to get libsupc++ (?) working on the AVR, so maybe we could
install that one in place of libstdc++ then.

As a stop-gap measure, perhaps we should patch GCC right now to rather
use -lc than -lgcc then.  But no, that won't work very well either.
The darn thing is that this library (and -lm) are always linked
*prior* to any of the user libraries, and I think that's a bug.
User-specified libraries should always take precedence.  If we use -lc
as a replacement, and the user specifies one of the custom vfprintf
libraries, the linker would find the standard vfprintf earlier, and
use that one instead of what the user intented.  So abusing -lm might
work, or maybe I should just create a libempty.a in the next release
of avr-libc, and we patch GCC to use that one instead of libstdc++ by
now.

But in the long run, I agree, some kind of C++ library would be really
a Good Thing.  At the very least, we could support real new and delete
operators, maybe even some kind of exceptions (they require a helper
function in a library we currently don't have).  For sure, streams IO
might make sense as well.