Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experiences to build avr-toolchain using latest stabl

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experiences to build avr-toolchain using latest stable versions.
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:20:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Clemens Koller <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2a. usually optional: gmp-4.2.1:

Supposedly, this (and MPFR) is optional.  The configure only tried to
configure with GMP as it found an existing gmp.h file in your
installation.  If I read the configure script correctly, --without-gmp
should work.  Did you try that?

(I've got no idea what they are using the GMP library for.)

If it is configured without GMP, MPFR will not tested at all.

> ../gcc-4.1.1/configure  --target=avr \
>                         --enable-__cxa_atexit \

Curious, what exactly is that for?

> 4a. uisp-20050207:

AFAICT, UISP is no longer maintained.  I suggest dropping that in
favour of AVRDUDE.

> Are there any plans to fix dwarf2 in the future?

The fix that is indirectly mentioned in the bug report is known to
work (at least, there have been no reports of failure so far).

What do you need DWARF-2 for?  It's almost unmaintained for the AVR
target.  GDB cannot really use it (e. g. it starts to confuse RAM and
ROM addresses, I didn't try much harder, I guess it will get
completely messed up when it comes to stack frame tracing), the entire
DWARF-2 has been implemented completely aside the binutils anyway (so
you cannot e. g. convert between DWARF-2 and stabs using avr-objcopy),
the assembler cannot generate DWARF-2 line number information when
configured for the AVR (several important DWARF-related sections are
missing in the output when you run it with --gdwarf2).  So far, the
only known happy consumer of AVR-GCC's DWARF-2 is Atmel's AVR Studio,
but I don't believe you're an AVR Studio user.  For the GNU tools,
stabs debugging still works way better for the AVR target.