[avr-gcc-list] Re: AVR-GCC-list Digest, Vol 25, Issue 10

From: Keith Gudger
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: AVR-GCC-list Digest, Vol 25, Issue 10
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:19:48 -0800

Thanks Joerg for your reply to my previous post about avr-gcc compile
problems.  I'm finally getting back to this issue, and am still not
able to compile avr-gcc for the same reasons.  Since the last post I
completely rebuilt binutils-2.17 and reconfigured and tried to make
avr-gcc, with the same results.  This is being done on RedHat 8.0, so
the build environment is rather old.

avr-gcc make still returns:
/usr/bin/avr-as: unrecognized option `-Qy'
make[2]: *** [g++spec.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-4.1.1/objdir/gcc'

Which I realize is because avr-as doesn't recognize -Qy

I tried your idea of running strace, but that doesn't work on this system:
strace -o logfile -f make
PANIC: setbpt for syscall 190 on 30358???
Process 30359 attached
Process 30358 suspended

More info:
> sh-2.05b$ which as /usr/bin/as sh-2.05b$ which avr-as
> /usr/bin/avr-as sh-2.05b$

The avr-as is an old version on this system - it's in the PATH before
the latest from binutils-2.17.  If I change the path so that the new
one is earlier, I get the same problem, -Qy not recognized.

I don't see where -Qy is getting passed to the assembler.
Any help appreciated.  Thanks.
Keith