Re: [avr-gcc-list] howto: accurate fast usart with IntRC clock andOSCCAL

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] howto: accurate fast usart with IntRC clock andOSCCAL
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:23:33 -0500

David McNab wrote (in part):

I've dropped this whole notion, and switched to external crystals.

Good idea (although none of this belongs on this list).

Seems one of my suppliers offers a 13.56MHz crystal. With UBRR set to 7,
this allows for 115.2kb/s serial with < 4.2% error - very much good enough.

Actually, this is only just good enough. I would recommend you try to get within 2%. If you assume perfect transmitter timing and no distortion during transmission, then after detecting the onset of the start bit the receiver has to reach the stop bit, ten bits later, with no more than half a bit error. This requires 5% accuracy in timing. By the time you allow for transmitter timing error, distortion during transmission and the delay in detecting the start bit you need better receiver timing accuracy to make sure things hold together. I seem to recall that 2% is recommended, but 4.2% is surely right on the edge. Can you not get 14.7456MHz? Both Mouser and Digi-Key carry many choices at this frequency.

Graham.