Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gdb error when run "info io_registers"

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gdb error when run "info io_registers"
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 07:15:23 +0200 (MET DST)

address@hidden wrote:

> Does the avr-gdb not support this command on mega16?

It basically means the backend program (avarice in your case) doesn't
support that command.

However, that's not quite true.  The ATmega16 is one of the few CPUs
where "info io_registers" is actually even implemented for in avarice.
GDB has a tendency to suffer from some bugs that always ended up in
destroying that functionality.  While my FreeBSD patches used to fix
one of those bugs, I notice it no longer works for me either, so there
must be new bugs. :-(

OTOH, I've never really been happy with the functionality of info
io_registers.  It could only display you *all* IO registers as a
block, with no symbolic translations of the bits behind it.  I think
the correct way would be to add symbolic debugging information for the
RAM address range 0x20... (0x60 | 0x100 | 0x200 | ...).  I didn't have
the time so far to investigate for a nice way to do that.  Ideas are
welcome. ;-)