[avr-gcc-list] avoiding custom linker scripts by passing CLI arguments

From: kitts
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avoiding custom linker scripts by passing CLI arguments
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:36:45 +0530

This is probably nothing to do with AVR, but a recent discussion here and my
own requirement makes me ask this question...

If i want to use some variables in code that are linker defined, can i pass
them as information to command line?

Can i define memory sections such that i can use its start and end address
variables in code?

In the context of AVR, can i write bootloader and application code
separately and build binary images? In other words, can i inform the linker
the address range in which the image shall reside?

Although i know this list is for the AVR, my interest in this information is
generic of the GCC toolchain. My immediate requirement of this kind is for
the coldfire port.

Any help will be appreciated.
--
Cheers!