[avr-gcc-list] Building avr-gcc without first installing binutils?

From: Rick Mann
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Building avr-gcc without first installing binutils?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:03:13 -0700

This question is by no means urgent...

I'm writing a script to download and build a complete AVR toolchain, and I'd like to defer installation to the very end (after all the subcomponents are built). Right now, I'm running into the problem that building gcc relies on having binutils built and installed before gcc's make step can complete.

Is there a way to call configure, when building gcc, that would allow me to use the previously-built binutils without actually installing binutils? Put another way, can I configure and make binutils, but skip the install step, then configure and make gcc, having it use the built products of binutils?

In addition to all this? is it possible to then later install all of them in the specified prefix dir when they were configured?

Thanks!

--
Rick