Re: [avr-gcc-list] scanf and __fmt string

From: Roger Furer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] scanf and __fmt string
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:46:33 -1000

Aloha from Honolulu,
Thanks, but there isn't much info on the format string itself. How is it structured, what does it look like, where is it placed? Is it just the bit inside the parentheses following the scanf statement? "scanf( here? );" I am under the impression that it is somewhere seperate and is reffered to by all the scanf statements in the program. Please correct me if that is wrong.
Thanks,
Roger Furer

Dave N6NZ wrote:

Second link in google for 'scanf':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanf

But... if my experience is a guide, you will be sorry you ever heard of scanf. It's not a very robust way to parse input.

-dave

Roger Furer wrote:

Aloha from Honolulu,
I'm trying to use scanf in a program and reading about it I found that it is supposed to reference __fmt string, which is supposed to reside in program memory. I spent a coup[le of hours with Google and the AVR-libc reference, but could find no other information on __fmt string. Can someone explain it to me? How is it composed and where would it reside?
Thanks Very Much,
Roger Furer