Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avarice (CVS) USB problems under Linux

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avarice (CVS) USB problems under Linux
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:34:27 +0200 (MET DST)

"Gerard Marull Paretas" <address@hidden> wrote:

> After that, when I turn on the device, /dev/avrjtag is created (but
> without r/w permissions for normal user).

/dev/avrjtag is not needed, but you do need to have write permissions
to the respective device node.  AVaRICE uses libusb, and libusb in
turn needs the entries under /proc/bus/usb, so it must be those that
have to get the correct permissions.

> The other bad thing is that if I try to use this device entry with
> avarice as root, I get the following error:

> sudo avarice -2 -j /dev/avrjtag
> JTAG ICE communication failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

That's because it tries to use /dev/avrjtag as a serial deivce rather
than through libusb.  AVaRICE uses device names that start with the
word "usb" to internally distinguish the USB transport from a RS-232
serial transport.