Re: [avr-gcc-list] -O vs. -O2

From: Nathan Cooprider
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] -O vs. -O2
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:56:18 -0600

Eric Weddington wrote:
Russell Shaw wrote:
What are you trying to do? Any autoconf package can be set
for -02 with:
./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2"

I am using avr-gcc as part of the TinyOS package, along with
a bunch of
other non-TinyOS tools. The non-TinyOS tools do something to
the TinyOS
applications so that they compile fine with avr-gcc -O, but
then break
with -Os or -O2. My understanding is that -O2 is just -O with
some extra
command options. I looked through the manual and found what options
those were, but adding them to -O did not trigger the error.
So I was at
a loss.

Unfortunately, I believe I am stuck using an older version of
gcc. Which
sort of makes my problem irrelevant for this list. Also, I
probably just
have to look at the actual command line options in the source
and find
out which ones -O turns on and which ones -O2 turns on.
Anyway, thanks
for the concern.

Why do you think that you are stuck? Is it because nescc hasn't been
upgraded to use a later toolchain (gcc 4.1.x)?

Sort of. I am trying to compare some tools with standard techniques for TinyOS. Right now, standard techniques for TinyOS is avr-gcc 3.4.3.

Nathan