Re: [avr-gcc-list] Missing Section

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Missing Section
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:43:57 +1000

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 11:24:22AM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> We particularly need to see the quoted flags on the line, especially
> since "info as" says:
>
> If no flags are specified, the default flags depend upon the section
> name.  If the section name is not recognized, the default will be for
> the section to be loaded and writable.

Darn, mutter, mumble. Pressed send a millisecond too soon. The above is
for COFF. We're using ELF, I presume, so we have:

   If no flags are specified, the default flags depend upon the section
name.  If the section name is not recognized, the default will be for
the section to have none of the above flags: it will not be allocated in
memory, nor writable, nor executable.  The section will contain data.

So if you're just using a naked:

   .section .update

try using:

   .section .update,"ax"

Assuming you want it executable as well.

If not, we'll still need to see the .section statement, to complete a
remote diagnosis.

Erik