Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fwd: [Tinyos-help] TinyOs avr-gcc-4

From: David Gay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fwd: [Tinyos-help] TinyOs avr-gcc-4
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:00:23 -0700

On 10/15/07, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Weddington <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > ... There are at least 3 companies that I know of that base part of
> > their sensor network technology on TinyOS, that would suddenly have
> > a more receptive market to their technology because it uses a
> > standard language.
>
> At least one of them recently gave up using NesC (and thus TinyOS),
> and recoded their entire stack in standard C.  I haven't heard an
> official statement, but I believe this was mainly due to the toolchain
> reasons mentioned here (unability to use an up-to-date toolchain, for
> up-to-date AVRs).

FWIW, the next release of TinyOS should make it easier to use existing
toolchains...

Btw, re uisp: it's more a question of nobody seeing much value in
porting the crossbow-hardware-specific changes to avrdude (the
crossbow programming boards have some small differences) - all of this
stuff is really in crossbow's court. There's absolutely nothing that
prevents other platforms from using whatever programming tool they
want to...

David Gay