Re: [avr-gcc-list] USB

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] USB
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:47:11 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
"Shashank Chintalagiri" <address@hidden> wrote:

Does anyone know of any chip that will let me interface with USB
devices from an ATmega, that is available in DIP packages?

<snip>
I've never seen one.

 Many amateurs have been soldering things
like FTDIs or PDIUSBs before in their TQFP or SO packages, so it's not
that SMD would be a serious hurdle even for them.

I've done the FT232BM by hand soldering, and am designing an FT232RL board. But if you want to avoid doing surface mount yourself, the easiest solution is to simply get one of the break-out-boards so that that the difficult soldering is done for you.

-dave