[avr-gcc-list] Re: Simulator for GCC Testing

From: Andrew Hutchinson
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Simulator for GCC Testing
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:39:13 -0500

I has resurrected my testsuite setup for AVR. Thanks Eric for emailling me instructions.

I want to use this to check my patches.

The setup uses patched gcc files to run gcc tests thru the AVR-GCC compiler. Using GDB and SIMULAVR for execution (if appropriate)

Now I'm running this under CYGWIN

There are a an awful lot of tests, of which a large number are inappropriate or otherwise misapplied to the AVR.

This combination makes it impractical to run under Cygwin - due to time needed to run tests. Tests not suitable for the AVR often end up failing Timeout setting - taking (say) a minute per test before timing out. gdb and simulavr are not that quick either. I think I got about 1000 test/hour over night. Compilation only tests run at about 3500/hour.

So essentially the tests we should not be using are slowing down all the test we should be.

Of course I'm sure it would be quicker under Linux - but thats not the point (or indeed practical for me right now). We really need to get this suite trimmed down.

To get things going quicker, I re-tried Avrora as a simulator - last time I tried (2004) it would not load files correctly but 1.6.0 seems to have solved that. This simulator is not only quicker than simulavr- but I can avoid using gdb. So I can get more cpu cycles/real time. ( I can also limit execution time in terms of cpu cycles!)

Its not perfect, the breakpoints only list the address, not the symbol, or a breakpoint number. So I hacked test setup files to make exit and abort jump to fixed address so that dejagnu scripts could figure difference between pass/fail.

It's also throwing RAM read exceptions (outside of target address range) - I didn't notice that with SIMULAVR - but I don't know if that is problem with gcc, Avrora or Simulavr!

I still have to go back over the results to figure out if my setup is fully correct.

The idea simulator for the testsuite is one that loads software and setting from command line and runs it quickly - minimal I/O emulation needed. Simple breakpoints - so that exit/abort can be output. Control of maximum execution time is desirable. For AVR, at least, I do not see a need to use gdb as front end for testing. So Avrora is somewhat attractive in this respect. I have yet to try simulavrxx.

Andy