Re: [avr-gcc-list] '-morder' option with Avr-libc: comparison table

From: Wouter van Gulik
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] '-morder' option with Avr-libc: comparison table
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:50:17 +0100

Hi all.

If I run the -morder1 and the -frename-registers on my test programs it grows in size. The difference is probably that my test programs (sorry I can't release sources) is not using any 32 bit variable and hardly any 16 bit.

Test summary:

         -morder1 + -frename-register    | -morder1
test1 |          bigger                  | smaller
test2 |          bigger                  | smaller

Test1 grows from 9886 bytes to 9930 bytes. An increase of 44 bytes. The most (38 bytes) is in one file. There is not one file that gets smaller.

In Test2 there are several files that get a little bit smaller. But again there are 2 that get larger.

Including one interrupt routine that now uses an extra register and thus an requires an extra push/pop.

So I think -frename-register works very well for 32 bit variables but not for applications not using any 32 bit variable.

HTH,

Wouter

Hi.

Summary results for Avr-libc CVS HEAD 2008-01-13, only C-functions.
Values (base variant) are slightly different from ones of 10 Jan,
due to bug #21995 is fixed.  GCC 4.3.X is 4.3-20080104 snapshot.