Re: [avr-gcc-list] Cygwin GCC build cc1.exe file size

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Cygwin GCC build cc1.exe file size
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:08:53 +0100

Weddington, Eric wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden
org] On Behalf Of Andrew Hutchinson
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:13 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Cygwin GCC build cc1.exe file size

My build of gcc under windows (cygwin) give file size for cc1.exe of 22MB

Winavr is much smaller (200K).

Is this normal or do I need to strip files?

Yes, it is normal, in that debugging info is normally included in the
executable. Yes, use strip to strip the executable to make it smaller.
BTW, I have posted the patches, on the WinAVR CVS repository, that I use
to build the toolchain using MinGW/MSYS. That way the executables aren't
linked to the Cygwin DLL.

I think I heard somewhere that some of these patches were being included in the main FSF gcc tree, to make building with MinGW easier - is that right? I certainly "borrowed" the patches when building a Coldfire gcc under MinGW - very handy! That's the open source development model at its finest.

Andrew, aim to build with MinGW if you can. As a general rule, MinGW executables are smaller and faster than Cygwin programs, but Cygwin provides greater posix support. Among other things, cygwin has an extra layer between the application and all file access, allowing it to simulate things like soft links and unix file permissions - at the cost of extra time and larger images.

mvh.,

David