Re: [avr-gcc-list] Success running the testsuite with avrtest

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Success running the testsuite with avrtest
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:13:04 +0000

Quoting "Dmitry K." <address@hidden>:
On Thursday 17 January 2008 14:57, Paulo Marques wrote:
[...]
Although there are 66 tests that FAIL, only 51 are execution failures,
and 15 are compilation failures. These 51 failures correspond to just
10 programs that fail to execute, with different optimization options
(-O0, -O1, etc.):
[...]

A big progress!

Thanks :)

Nevertheless, the next (after cmp) test is aborted:

com.c:
 #define ABORT_PORT     0x49
 #define abort()        do { *(volatile char *)ABORT_PORT = 0; } while (0)

 int main ()
 {
   volatile unsigned char a = 0xff;
   unsigned char b;

   if ((b = ~a) != 0) abort ();
   return b;
 }

Thank you for finding this, and for providing such a simple test case.

How do you come up with these tests? You're actually reading avrtest source code , finding bugs and then coming up with code that exposes them, aren't you?

Attached is a new version that fixes this, as usual ;)

The testsuite with this version gives the same result, though.

I have already started to doubt in quality of GCC's tests.
So simple mistakes remain not noticed?

I guess most of the tests (if not all) are tests for bugs that gcc had at some point, and are there so that gcc doesn't regress. Maybe gcc never had a bug that involved the complement operation :)

--
Paulo Marques