Re: [avr-gcc-list] More results from the testsuite with avrtest

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] More results from the testsuite with avrtest
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:55:18 +0000

Andy Hutchinson wrote:
Paulo,

Hi, Andy.

please report bug with PR27364 testcase.

I found that problem is somewhere in combine phase. Here it is trying to stick together pairs of instruction to make another. It fails but that is where load of constant dissappears.

So if you post bug, I can add further info.

Ok. I'll post it tonight, then.

Andy

PS running your simulator now. Found bug in AVRORA - dunno where but it failed some testcases.

Tracking down a long sequence of operations that end in a bug can be really tricky (and I'm sure you've been there, too).

But if avrora fails a testcase that avrtest passes, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is a bug with avrora. It is likely that the bug is in avrtest instead.

This is still a concern of mine: when a test fails, it is "relatively" easy to find the culprit: gcc or avrtest. But if it passes, I won't even go and look for it, so I might get a false positive.

Your tests with avrora were really helpful in testing both our setups.

Your's is same speed. Sadly Cygwin does not like spawn.

Not that bad, considering that avrtest wasn't written with speed in mind :)

However, as I said in another mail, the speed of simulator actually counts very little to the overall speed of the testsuite. Even a simulator that took twice the time to execute than avrtest, would only increase the total time by 5%.

Hopefully, our numbers will match!

"Hopefully" was a wise choice of words ;)

Thanks for your help,

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error."
Weisert