Re: [avr-gcc-list] Small bug in avrtest

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Small bug in avrtest
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:19:08 +0100

Wouter van Gulik wrote:
Hi list/Paulo,

I just wanted to let you know before someone else also spends an evening searching this bug :D

The file is opened with the "rt" option. I don't know what it's supposed to do, but it makes my Mingw Windows compiled version open files only half or so. Leading to illegal "pc out of bounds" errors.

I changed it to "rb" and all was good.

I can't give you a complete answer, but I believe the "rt" mode is supposed to open files in "text" mode. On cygwin, and maybe mingw, this makes an attempt at giving consistent results for mixing unix-style LF line endings, and DOS-style CR/LF endings (and maybe Mac-style CR endings?). It's one of the little things that often cause trouble in porting between *nix and windows - using "rt" is an attempt at easing these problems, although it might cause some of its own.

mvh.,

David