Re: [avr-gcc-list] testsuite saga continues

From: Wouter van Gulik
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] testsuite saga continues
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:15:24 +0100

Andrew Hutchinson schreef:
One might argue that carry is the result of a compare with largest integer value (255 for bytes). But these situation do not directly arise in "C" - or I assume any other supported language - so it is not considered. (Though the ability to propage carry would indeed help create mode independent arithmetic operation.).

Having carry as a condition code indeed seems not very useful
But the most benefit from teaching gcc about the carry is the propagation of the carry, that is my main concern. Is not possible to create a special register for carry, (not in cc0) just for doing arithmetics using carry? This would lead to an expand of the sub/add/shift/cmp(?) in to simple byte patterns.
Giving gcc much more knowledge on what's going on.

This is close to what Dave has suggested in the other thread.

I have to little knowledge on gcc's further internals to over see all consequences, I guess there are very good reason not to do this.

Wouter