Re: [avr-gcc-list] testsuite saga continues

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] testsuite saga continues
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:37:41 +0000

Wouter van Gulik wrote:
[...]
The next step will definitely be ELF loading support. With ELF loading,
I can decode symbols like "__bss_end" to know where the stack overflows
exactly or use "__stack" to know where the stack underflows. I can also
do a more symbolic log, by decoding addresses to their symbol names.

That would be very cool! Although a dump log at an abort might also be
useful when debugging testcases.

Can you elaborate on that? What exactly are you calling a dump log?

Some more thoughts about the smaller avr's. I did not intend to catch wrong
instruction, but I was aiming at finding bugs that are do not apply to the
mega series. Because if there are bugs in the less capable devices, it's
very likely to be in the avr backend, which is easier to fix.

Can't avrtest/gcc fake a avr2 device (e.g. at90s8535) with tons of flash and
ram? Just like you now fake huge amounts of external memory?

That probably won't work because (IIRC) smaller parts don't have the JMP and CALL instructions and only have RJMP / RCALL, so they can't address a large flash in a natural way.

One thing we could do is setup our own benchmark suite (not the testsuite) that could be used to test size / speed regressions in all architectures. This could also trigger failures if gcc started using invalid instructions for a particular architecture.

We could then have a nice matrix with compiler version / optimization setting / architecture, to show regressions on every architecture we support.

Thanks for the good work!

You're welcome :)

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"Anything is possible, unless it's not."