Re: [avr-gcc-list] Odd prologue for ATmega256x in WinAVR20080407

From: hutchinsonandy
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Odd prologue for ATmega256x in WinAVR20080407
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:52:39 -0400

Hey ! I wrote RTL prolog code.

-----Original Message-----
From: Weddington, Eric <address@hidden>
To: Jeff Barlow <address@hidden>; address@hidden; Stu Bell <address@hidden>
Sent: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 2:42 pm

-----Original Message-----
From:
address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden
org] On Behalf Of Jeff Barlow
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:10 AM
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Odd prologue for ATmega256x in
WinAVR20080407

Stu Bell <address@hidden>  wrote:

>What does the double "rcall ." do?

It just adjusts the stack pointer prior to loading it as the
local frame pointer. It's a fairly cute optimization actually.

Hi Stu,

Don't feel bad. When I first saw this, I thought the same thing: "Huh?,
What's this?" After some quick double checking in the instruction set
manual, it finally made sense. I agree with Jeff, it's quite a trick
optimization. Thanks go to Anatoly Sokolov. ;-)