[avr-gcc-list] avr toolchain install problem

From: Richard Johns
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avr toolchain install problem
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 10:29:46 -0400

                              From:
Richard Johns
<address@hidden>
                                To:
address@hidden
                           Subject:
avr toolchain install problem
                              Date:
Thu, 08 May 2008 11:00:04 -0400

I have attempted to install the toolchain on a Ubuntu 8.04 desktop using
both the method in the avr-libc manual and Francesco Sacchi's script.
Since I have had more success with the latter I'll describe it:

The build portion appears to be successful but no executables are
created. I ran

 ./avr-install.sh build executables

in

 /home/rj/local/avr/avr-toolchain-20070905

which created the build and executables subdirectories. All the patches
and extractions of the four packages appear to have been made correctly
to the four appropriate build subdirectories.

Following the extraction of avrdude the I get:

creating cache .config.cache
checking target system type... avr-unknown-none
checking for BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

I don't understand this since /usr/bin is in my $PATH and contains
gcc-4.2.

I installed gcc as well which gave:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables

What is the script looking for if these versions of gcc are
unacceptable?

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Johns
address@hidden