Re: [avr-gcc-list] Order of variables placed in .data and .bsssections

From: Raj Sharma
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Order of variables placed in .data and .bsssections
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 08:01:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Morty,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Raj

--- On Wed, 5/21/08, Moritz Struebe <address@hidden> wrote:
From: Moritz Struebe <address@hidden>
To: "avr-gcc-list" <address@hidden>
Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 7:30 AM

Hi Raj,

incremental linking will run you into _a lot_ of other problems. The places where your variables go, is one of the smaller ones, as long as you don't want to add the code at runtime (I just implemented this for Nut/OS). I suggest you have a look at Dunkel's Run-Time-Linker Paper. While you probably won't want to do this, the paper gives a good overview over the Problems and options.
http://www.sics.se/~adam/dunkels06runtime.pdf

Also "FlexCup: A Flexible and Efficient Code Update Mechanism for Sensor Networks" might be an option for you.

Cheers
Morty

Raj Sharma schrieb:
Dear Eric,

You are right. If you want to install an image via say ISP, building a completely new image is not a problem. But if we have a network of devices (built from avr processors) that communicate wirelessly, the incremental way of installing the new application in the entire network (by wirelessly transmitting the image) can help significantly to reduce energy due to radio transmissions. This is especially important in some deployment scenarios where it is impossible/very difficult to change the batteries of the devices.

Thanks for your replies,
Raj