RE: [avr-gcc-list] Position Independent Code / Data (PIC /PID)

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Position Independent Code / Data (PIC /PID)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:10:29 -0600

Hi Morty,

I'm sure others saw your message there too (I did). But no responded yet
either because they are busy or because they don't have a good answer
for you.

> Hi there,
>
> I developed module support for Nut/OS running on a ATmega128. At the
> moment I allocate memory and then link against this information. Using
> PIC would save me this trouble.

Interesting.

> I did some research on PIC/PID & AVR, but mostly found
> guesswork and/or
> even false information. (Or people complaining that someone
> posted in an
> AVR and not in the Microchip-Forum. ;-) )

That's common. :-) It's pretty rare that someone talks about Position
Independent Code in regards to the AVR.

> Dunkels et al. say that PIC is limited to 4K [1]. I'm not
> sure why this
> is the case. Looking at the documentation I come up with
> +-2^16 words =
> 64K.
>
> I'm also not sure how to interpret the -mshort-calls option. Does this
> mean I get only rjmps and the linker will complain if the
> jumps get too
> long, or will the Linker silently fail.

Looking in the avr-libc manual, -mshort-calls is described as:
"Use rjmp/rcall (limited range) on >8K devices. On avr2 and avr4
architectures (less than 8 KB or flash memory), this is always the case.
On avr3 and avr5 architectures, calls and jumps to targets outside the
current function will by default use jmp/call instructions that can
cover the entire address range, but that require more flash ROM and
execution time."

Honestly, I don't know if the linker will complain if the jumps are too
long, as not many people use -mshort-calls.

> Further on I curious whether it would be (theoretically)
> possible to let
> the linker decide whether to use jmp or rjmp or even do
> double rjmps to
> cover the full range. I know, the latter is a bit strange, but would
> enable code > 64K to be position independent.

The linker now has "linker relaxation" available. This means that you do
not have to use -mshort-calls (and it is recommended that you don't).
When you call linker relaxation it will optimize the jmp/call to
rjmp/rcall as needed.

Remember that functions are word-aligned, so jmp/call can reach 64K
*words* (128K bytes). Look how GCC is implemented for the ATmega256x
devices.

> I was wondering whether PID is supported because it came up in one or
> two threads. But I assume not.

AFAIK, no one has gotten it working.

If you do get it working, please let us know.

Eric Weddington