RE: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:33:46 -0600

If the disable can happen right after prologue and the enable right
before the epilogue then I don't see an issue. Caveat emptor. Maybe I'm
missing something?

> Also disabling all interrupts is often not what you need. Disabling
> specfic interrupts is more palatable on real time systems.

True, but it can't be easily done in the compiler. Disabling all
interrupts is a common enough approach, and while it may not ideal for
every application, I think that having this function attribute would be
a useful tool available to the programmer.

> NMI is a feature not a limitation - it supposed to  stop such
>  software
> hanging up the CPU.
>
> BTW gcc provides atomic operations on other ports.

What kinds of different mechanisms do they provide? Would any of them be
useful for the AVR port?