Re: [avr-gcc-list] Toolchain developers: State of GCC HEAD

From: hutchinsonandy
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Toolchain developers: State of GCC HEAD
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:12:14 -0400

IRA will likely cause a lot of spill failures. It has more agressive allocation, so the chance of it running out of base registers is higher.

The AVR port is fundementally flawed in its handling of reloads around base pointer and frame register.
(existing bug reports show some examples)

You should be able to see these easily in test log file (with IRA enabled).
Then you could force it to not remove frame pointer and number of failures will decrease as this remove one main cause.

There may be some other reasons mixed in.

With IRA disabled (which I thought was default)  it should be no different of course!

Andy

Sent from my Dingleberry wired device.