Re: [avr-gcc-list] minit-stack

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] minit-stack
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:26:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Ruud Vlaming <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gentoo Linux. But the point is that i use a file to store the
> options and than call gcc with something like @../gcc_options.

OK, then I can understand why the quotes make a difference.

> Interresting thought. Does it also explain why
>     asm(".global __stack    \n\t ");
>     asm(".set __stack, 0xF4 \n\t ");
> does work?

Just guessing: this immediately makes __stack a known symbol (with a
known value), while the other version leaves it kind of "pending" for
later processing since the value is not (yet) known.  When the linker
then processes crt1.o, it ends up with a known value for __stack, and
would no longer consider the (still global unknown) value from the
other object module.

But again, it's just guessing.  I don't know enough about the linker's
internals to tell that with authority.