[avr-gcc-list] AVR LLVM backend?

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] AVR LLVM backend?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:10:29 -0800

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I was wondering whether anyone has
considered adding an AVR backend to the LLVM compiler.  The LLVM team
claims that it is much easier to create an LLVM backend for a new
processor/architecture than it is for gcc, and LLVM has a much more
powerful optimization system that supports link-time optimization and
many other powerful optimizations.

If I knew a bit more about compilers and native code generation, I'd
take a crack at it myself... who knows; maybe I still will try it
sometime.  (I'd also like to see LLVM support 8051, since I have to work
with some 8051 MCUs at work (yuk! I love AVR even more after working
w/ 8051) and the SDCC compiler is abysmal... we'll have to buy an
expensive commercial compiler to get a decent compiler.)

Regards,
Colin

P.S. I'm not affiliated with LLVM, just an interested AVR hacker.