[avr-gcc-list] introducing a new section in data memory

From: Parthasaradhi Nayani
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] introducing a new section in data memory
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:37:06 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,
I needed to create a buffer of 256 bytes starting at a page boundary (xx00) in the RAM memory (Mega8).

I added this line in the makefile

LDFLAGs = -wl,--section-start=.test=0x800200

and defined a variable in the .C file (shown below)

unsigned char mem3 __attribute__ ((section(".test")));

However variable mem3 is being assigned address 0x60 in the controller???

also if I define another global in next line to mem3 I get error that .data and .bss overlap lma 0xa0??

I am of the opinion that all variable defined with attribute .test will be located in that memory area and all other global variables will be located in their native memory. Perhaps if I ma able locate the .test section properly the overlap error may vanish. Can you correct the problem please? Thank you.

Nayani