Re: [avr-gcc-list] Passing a string variable to lcd_puts

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Passing a string variable to lcd_puts
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:31:59 -0400

David VanHorn wrote:
"Ok, so that leaves me VERY confused."
Maybe it would help to think about logic levels in simulation.  The three basic levels are "low", "high" and "unknown".  The three variations of the char type are similar, signed, unsigned and unspecified.  I think that the reason the unspecified variant of char got into the C language definition was political, not technical.  The other basic integer types don't share this quirk.

The compiler is probably warning you because a signed char and an unsigned char are both different from an unspecified or plain char, just like low and high are different from unknown.

The reason that a function would take a char of unspecified signedness is that the writer of the function reasons that only the least significant seven bits mean anything, so why bother with what the MSB does.  I think it's kind-of traditional that 7-bit ASCII is represented as a plain char.  Personally, I use uint8_t.

Graham.