Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATTiniy 167 / Float

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATTiniy 167 / Float
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:07:53 +0200 (MET DST)

Erwan MARC <address@hidden> wrote:

>> PS for Jörg, I'll check if we have the option -lm or not, what is
>> the impact?

libgcc.a contains helper functions for floating-point math which are
mostly auto-generated and thus not quite efficient.  libm.a, while
it's not its normal purpose, overrides a number of these functions
with more efficient versions.

It's been a historical mistake to separate libm.a from libc.a at all.
By the time avr-libc started, there was no reason other than ``because
it's always been that way'' to stuff the math functions into a
separate library.  (When Unix started on the PDP-11, there have
probably been resource exhaustion reasons for this separation, to keep
the linker's job doable at all.)