RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: char to int promotion in bitwise operators

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: char to int promotion in bitwise operators
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:27:02 -0600

It has in the past. Recently the FSF cleared up all the licensing issues so it
can move forward.

> I had hoped that plugins might lower the bar for people getting
> involved, by making it possible for people to look at a
> smaller piece of
> code at first rather than facing the whole gcc source tree.
> But maybe
> plugins just add another layer of complexity without actually helping.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I went to the GCC Summit this past June
where plugins were a topic of discussion and that was my impression of plugins.
There an awful lot of academics interested in plug-ins because "working with
the GCC code base is hard", or because they want to write their plugin in some
exotic language (e.g. OCaml) and they don't want to have to write in C. In the
end it seems like all of this infrastructure is going into place to support
plugins when more should be done to help new developers on GCC, but those are
different sets of people. Perhaps, just maybe, an AVR-specific plugin would
start off as experimental and then become actually useful. If that happens it
needs to be worked into the actual code base (non-plugin) for it to be truly
effective. If that's the case, then it seems like a waste of time and energy to
write it one way for the plugin and then have to re-write it for the real code
base; just start at the lowest point in the code base as a patch.

I think that there are some folks in the GCC community (mostly academics from
what I can tell) that are suffering from "Eclipse-itis" and seem to want
plugins everywhere, when it should not be that way. Granted these are just my
opinions. YMMV.

I think, though, for the AVR community, we just need more people willing to
dive in and help. The sad thing is, is that there are a lot of places to help
that don't require arcane gcc knowledge. The avr-libc project is a great place
to learn, and there are lot of place to help, including just helping with
documentation. But sometimes it's hard enough to get people to submit a decent
bug report, much less building the software, learning to make a patch, fixing a
problem, submitting a patch, learning CVS/SVN, etc.

Eric Weddington