[avr-gcc-list] Re: Bad reply address - was Re: Re: How to useinversion i

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Bad reply address - was Re: Re: How to useinversion in if() - might be a bug report ?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:52:53 +0200

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden org]
On Behalf Of David Brown Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:31 AM
 To: address@hidden Subject: Re: Bad reply address - was
Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: How to useinversion in if() - might be a bug
report ?

Vaclav Peroutka wrote:
(Try to remember to post back to the list, rather than
individual users, unless it is specifically an off-list email.)

Sorry for that. I just pressed "Reply" button and did not
noticed that
"To:" does not contain address of avr-gcc-list but sender's
( yours, in
this particular case) address.

Now I will know, that I have to replace "To:" field every
time I answer
into list.

Use the "reply all" button, rather than "reply".  You can remove
the individual sender's address, since they are already on the list. Some people find this inconvenient, and everyone makes a
mistake on occasion and forgets to reply to the list, but it's easy
enough when you get used to it and there are good reasons for
having mailing lists configured in this way.

You don't even have to do that. Just hit 'Reply All', type your
response and hit send. The mailing list is set up (and most are this
way) to not send a duplicate response to the person in the 'To' list
if they are subscribed. However, if they are not subscribed to the
list, then it will correctly send the response to the list and the
person who is not subscribed, that way it ensures that they will see
it.

BTW, this is proper procedure for other projects like GCC, Binutils,
GDB, etc. Do 'Reply All' and leave it alone unless you explicitly
need to trim the CC list.

Fair enough. I personally find it slightly more convenient if the extra lines are trimmed, but perhaps that's because I subscribe via gmane (due to my convoluted path for incoming email, which causes trouble for some mailing lists). It is much better to follow the standard procedure for mailing lists than to try to cater for oddities like me.